12.31.2011

My Top 10 Films of 2011

Being the last day of the year I figured it would be appropriate to list my 
Top 10 Films of 2011. Now I must say I haven’t seen everything so my list may be a little weak. Hopefully you’ll still see some favorites anyhow!


This is probably writer/director Kevin Smith’s take on a more mature film. The mixture of sex, violence, religion and politics is just enough to rub some people the wrong way. Luckily I am someone rather open and accepting to most things and this film was in my opinion pretty awesome in the end. It has its flaws but overall I was pretty satisfied.

This was also rumored to be Smith’s last film but it appears his last film will be titled Hit Somebody, I’m unsure of the details.

 9

Oh Hanna. Well I tend to be kind of a sucker for anything that involves assassins or whatever so it was pretty inevitable that I would end up really liking this film. I mean how can you not enjoy a film that has a young woman kicking major ass and not in a cheesy way. This action thriller was exciting and visually appealing. It did have its weaknesses with some slow moments but fantastic acting, music by The Chemical Brothers and great cinematography very well made up for that.


I was immediately intrigued by Limitless once I saw the trailer. It suggests this fantasy that you can be a brilliant you by taking a pill. Wouldn’t that just be amazing?! Well of course but it has it’s side effects like any drug and we learn this with a little surprise at the end, (slight spoiler alert) which thank goodness it ended that way because otherwise I would think “uh duh wouldn’t you manipulate NZT to work for you and not against you since you are soooo damn smart now??” I don’t know, but it was a pretty good film that managed to keep my eyes on the screen. I was so excited to see what would happen next. Overall it’s an interesting film worth seeing.


Even though there is romance brewing this is not your typical romance comedy. It is smart, funny and sincere that can address anyone at any age that has been in love or thought they were in love. I was able to actually watch this film and not feel like it was insulting my intelligence, it was a bit more honest. I mean I actually cried during the little graduation speech in the end and I wouldn’t label myself as someone who does that often. It’s kind of embarrassing. Oh yeah and there is an amazing cast you don’t want to miss.


Okay I have to be honest, this film could have sucked big time and I probably would have still adored it because it has my favorite bromance Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. However I actually did enjoy this film. I can be a bit immature sometimes so the crude material was definitely funny to me. As much vulgarity involved there were also a lot heartfelt moments that balanced the film out. I am usually not a fan of CGI, it’s a little too dishonest for me, but I thought Paul the alien was designed rather nicely and thankfully didn’t ruin the film.


So it’s really no secret that I’m a fan of this franchise despite it’s past faults but Fast Five really delivers action, speed and excitement overall. I feel like this film can entertain girls and boys alike. We have the bad ass cars, the car chases, the heists, the fighting and of course Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel…. delicious if you ask me. I mean this film or the franchise in general has never pretended to be anything else but pure mindless entertainment (in a good way).


What can I say? This film was simply beautiful. Not much was said and not much needed to be said. It’s basically a story told through amazing visuals that try to explain life and how experiences make us who we are. It takes a lot of your attention to fully enjoy this film but I think it’s worth a watch at least once. I mean I probably won’t ever see it again. I have seen it twice now and the first time around already spoke volumes I just had to watch it at least one more time. It’s breathtaking.

3

I absolutely loved this film!! The kids were fantastic especially Riley Griffiths who played Charles---LOVED HIM!! All the kids delivery and comedic timing was brilliant. I was smitten with the friendships and the act of riding their bikes around getting into trouble it kind of sparked some nostalgia. Then it takes a turn into some sci-fi magic with this, I guess, monster that just wants to go home. It’s funny I don’t usually like alien-like films but I have 2 listed in this year’s favorites… hmmm.

2

Magical! This film was magical. I loved every minute of it. I’m not necessarily someone who has always dreamed of going to Paris (although I’d like to) but this film makes you want to but only if you can transport to the twenties, haha. It’s a fantasy film that really takes the audience on a whirlwind of an adventure that you wouldn’t expect or at least I didn’t. It was the perfect amount of whimsy and mystique supported by an impressive cast.

1

Warning, don’t expect Fast and the Furious or The Transporter. Drive is a film of it’s own. It displays raw emotion and intense behavior without having to be flashy. Ryan Gosling was BRILLIANT, stylish and hypnotic basically just fuckin’ outstanding. The music was perfect even though I initially thought it was kind of an odd choice. I don’t know what else to say besides this will probably be one of my favorite films ever.


My Guilty Pleasures of 2011
Monte Carlo
Scream 4
Our Idiot Brother

I Still Would Love to See
Hugo
 50/50
My Week with Marilyn
The Adventures of Tintin
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Descendants
Young Adult 
I'm kind of excited for Young Adult…


HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

27 comments:

oomph. said...

ok, these are all going on my list!! i love the fast and furious films, too.

[oomph.]

Nebular said...

Well, you know I had mixed feelings about Red State, but apart from that your list is spot-on! :)

I absolutely loved Hanna - it was such a cool arhouse action flick.

You know i love Drive as well. It's not my favorite movie of the year, but it will make my top 20 of 2011 for sure.

I agree about Monte Carlo - it ended up being a guilty pleasure of mine too. I fell in love with the scenery and thought the girls did a great job.

More films to add on your must-see list:

Shame
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Take Shelter
The Flowers of War
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

MRanthrope said...

DRIVE...my top pick as well.
I take FOREVER doing any type of list so you can expect my top 10 films of 2011 sometime in Feb. haha. No really!

Matthew Vanacore said...

Ah yes, what a sweet list you've engineered; a nice balance of art house, blockbuster, romance, comedy, action, and sci-fi.

I personally love your Top 4 picks particularly Tree of Life and Drive, which, perhaps serendipitously, enjoys similar affection in my Top 10.

And I'm impressed to see your inclusion of Limitless, which I thought was a grossly underrated film. Loads of fun.

Well-done. The diversity of your cinematic tastes is very encouraging.

Melissa Bradley said...

Terrific list, though I have not seen all of these. I loved Paul, Hanna and Fast Five. Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel and Sung Kang...be still my heart and those glorious cars...Cargasms! A triple h movie in my book. (Hot Cars, Hot Men and Hot Location)

Will definitely have to check out these other films on your list.

Maynard Morrissey said...

Interesting list!
Hanna was really, really awesome, Paul was hilarious and Red State was quite diverting.

Didn't like Super 8, it bored me to death.

Very excited about Drive & Tree Of Life; will see them both this or next month.

BragonDorn said...

Amazing pictures! I love your hard work in finding this stuff! :)

Paula said...

Great selection dear! My fav ones this year were Hanna, Drive and The Help! Looking forward to watching: The Iron Lady, Batman Rises and the Hobbit ( does it come out this year?)

Happy 2012! xx

Ivana said...

Sounds like an amazing selection! I need to see Midnight in Paris asap!

Happy Monday :)

xx Ivana

Stop by sometimes :)
Macarons and Pearls

S said...

Well, you just suggested me many movies to watch (loved Midnight in Paris)! ^^
Happy New Year sweetie!
xxx
S
http://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

Bonnie said...

I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT "PAUL." I want to see this so badly. I never got to it in the theaters. Sad face!

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Mouthwash said...

Ooh I loved Midnight in Paris so much. I am such a Woody Allen fan!

Great list, and happy new year!

Amber

Imogen said...

Crazy Stupid Love was great!I also sawy Paul...still not really sure what I thought of it. Happy new year to you.

Elle Sees said...

i wanna see drive! dragon tattoo was good

Tereza {Drastic Plastic} said...

Happy New Year!!! I hope 2012 will be the best year ever for all of us. I hope this year will be creative, full of passion and hope.

Jennifer Fabulous said...

I agree with you on most of these. (Well the ones I don't "agree" with you with are the ones I haven't seen, haha!).

My most personal favorites include Midnight in Paris (omgggg I'm obsessed with Zelda and the other 20s writers, as you may know) and Red State (which I saw b/c of you and is one of my most referenced movies on fb when talking to people about Westboro) and Super 8 (which totally reminded me of a Spielberg type of film from the ealry 80s). :)

I really want to see Crazy Stupid Love, 50/50, Monte Carlo (haha), and Young Adult (omg).

I have seen Our Idiot Brother (pretty good) and My Week with Marilyn (Michelle Williams did a much better job than I would have thought) and Dragon Tattoo (not bad) and The Descendants (one of the best of the year, imo).

I'm hoping to see Melencholia this week with Rian. I heard it's beautiful but intensely depressing. What are your thoughts on it?

Harija said...

Great choices!

Happy New Year 2012!

My Lyfe ; My Story


Vale ♥ said...

Great list =) I loved Hanna, Super 8 and Midnight in Paris was wonderful !!! Kisses
PS Have you checked my romwe giveaway ?

Fashion and Cookies
Fashion and Cookies on Facebook
Follow me on Bloglovin
My Twitter

Nicole✗✗ said...

@ oomph.
Yay!! I’m so glad. I hope you enjoy!!

@ Nebular
I know Monte Carlo was a surprise. I was slightly embarrassed to even watch it but it was really not that bad. It was just a nice feel good movie.
Thanks for the recommendations I will have to add them!

@ MRanthrope
I know wasn’t Drive amazing!! Glad it’s your top pick as well!! I can’t wait to see your list in February, haha!!

@ Matt
Thank you so much Matt! I’m glad to hear we have some similar tastes.
I agree Limitless was an extremely underrated. I’m truly surprised it didn’t get more attention. : )

@ Melissa
Thank you!! That is perfect, a triple h movie, haha!! I hope you get the chance to see the other films!! : )

@ Maynard
You haven’t seen Drive or Tree of Life yet?! Oh goodness you are in for a treat!! I can’t imagine you not liking them. Super 8, haha, it does have its slow moments but I can’t help but love this film overall. : )

@ BragonDorn
Thank you!! And thank you for stopping by!

@ Paula
Thank you!! Oh I still need to see The Help! I heard it was wonderful. I will have to see that one sooner than later. Yep you’re right The Dark Knight Rises and The Hobbit definitely come out this year!! I’m looking forward to that as well.

@ Ivana
Thanks, you definitely must see Midnight in Paris. It’s delightful!

@ S
Oh that’s wonderful!! I hope you had a great New Years!!

@ Bonnie
Oh noo, yes you must see Paul! It’s a fun film!

@ Mouthwash
Me too!! Love Woody Allen and he definitely didn’t disappoint with MIP.
Thank you and Happy New Year to you!! Thanks for stopping by!
@ Imogen
Yeah Paul is a hit or miss. It has mixed feelings with a lot of people but I enjoyed it mainly because of Pegg and Frost. Crazy Stupid Love, oh I just love it! Happy New Year to you as well!

@ Elle Sees
I need to see Girl with the dragon tattoo! I’ve heard great things!! Drive is fantastic-please go see it!!

@ Tereza
Happy New Year to you!! Thank you so much I hope 2012 has been amazing for you so far!!

@ Jennifer
I thought you would love Midnight in Paris it is so up your alley. Isn’t it just magical! Aww I love that you saw Red State, which was really good but also because it hits so close to home for both of us. : )
Oh goodness I think you’ll love Crazy Stupid Love. It was surprisingly good and not a typical romcom, which made it more enjoyable. I MUST SEE 50/50 and Young Adult!! Those have to be amazing and Monte Carlo is surprisingly good. It’s cheesy fun, haha!
I’m glad to hear that My Week with Marilyn and Dragon Tattoo were at least decent but now I’m more excited for The Descendants. Something just draws me to this film especially since you think it’s the best of the year!!
I actually haven’t seen Melencholia yet but I really want to. I have heard the same things. Let me know what you think after you’ve seen it. : )

@ Harija
Thanks!! Happy New Year to you as well!

@ Vale
Thanks!! I’m glad you had some favorites on there as well!!

discount oakley sunglasses said...

Great thanks for sharing this articlepost.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an amazing selection! I need to see Midnight in Paris asap! Happy Monday :) xx Ivana Stop by sometimes :) Macarons and Pearls

Anonymous said...

All that you do, do with your might; things done by halves are never done right.

0gRjx http://www.cheapuggbootsan.com/
dLbv http://www.michaelkorsoutletez.com/
wKvu http://www.cheapfashionshoesam.com/
4fMyk http://www.burberryoutletxi.com/
7qFjg http://www.nflnikejerseysshopxs.com/
2nFsc http://www.coachfactoryoutlesa.com/
8jCsz 6eXlb 8bPjj 8mRrh 9dYkn 7nDfl 6oVux 5dVjj 4jRfc

Anonymous said...

Time is money.

9jGmb http://www.cheapuggbootsan.com/
jKjr http://www.michaelkorsoutletez.com/
oSnc http://www.cheapfashionshoesam.com/
7cPor http://www.burberryoutletxi.com/
3wZbt http://www.nflnikejerseysshopxs.com/
2tCzk http://www.coachfactoryoutlesa.com/
9gAqw 4bPfb 4pWke 7oGaw 6nJtr 7gSmi 2mSdf 2iVda 6lStz

Anonymous said...

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

9pRso http://www.cheapuggbootsan.com/
rCiz http://www.michaelkorsoutletez.com/
eHzr http://www.cheapfashionshoesam.com/
4hIkj http://www.burberryoutletxi.com/
9rObq http://www.nflnikejerseysshopxs.com/
9dGzo http://www.coachfactoryoutlesa.com/
0cHyk 5vQmb 4rOlx 6dDdg 6nAaw 5mKjp 7qPbx 4tUmh 8lHfy

Supercords said...

Pretty great list with some unconventional picks. I appreciate that. We overlapped in a few areas. Here's mine: http://movieworship.blogspot.jp/2013/02/top-10-films-of-2011.html

Shane
movieworship.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Gгeetіngs! Very uѕeful aԁvіcе іn this ρarticulaг
artiсle! It's the little changes which will make the greatest changes. Thanks for sharing!

My website - ephedra effects

Anonymous said...

Ι neeԁed to thank you for thiѕ gooԁ read!

! I ԁefіnitely loved еνery bіt of it.
I haѵe yοu bοoκ markeԁ to cheсk out new stuff
уou poѕt…

Feel freе to vіѕit my weblοg .
.. ephedra For Sale